Monday, July 27, 2009

Time to get motivated

So Bobby and I have decided (again) that it is time to take better care of ourselves. It seems like we say this weekly but I hope this time we are motivated to stick with it. We have both noticed a change in attitudes and frequently feel...blah.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend Kristi began posting a blog about the marathon she is training for and she inspired me to go for a run when I read her post. About two years ago we would run together several times a week and had such a great time. For several years I have wanted to run a marathon (secretly I would like to do a sprint triathlon) and a few years ago I was running 7-9 miles for my long run and it felt good. But then I went on vacation and somehow, 13 days at the lake (and then meeting and spending time with that wonderful man in my life) were all things that kept me from running. It's so hard to get started and once it becomes a habit it feels good to complete the weekly runs. But it can be really easy to "just take a day off" and then pretty soon a full week goes by without a run and the motivation has been lost.

So this morning in the spirit of better health, I woke up at 4:30 and went to the gym for a pre-work workout. It felt really good to do something for me and I used to get up every weekday morning before work to go to the gym. Hopefully since Sarah is testing for Mishawaka in a few months, she can help me get motivated and we can train together.

Bobby and I go on vacation in a few days and I hope that we can stay motivated while we are at the lake. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. I love you & miss you terribly!! I wish we could be training together! Remember that my mom is always looking for someone to keep her motivated since I can't train with her either! Some of the other nurses run together too like Lindsey & Amanda! Vacation is ther perfect place to get MORE MOTIVATED!! Especially when out on the boat all day! Wake up shouting This is the most beautiful day & I am going to conquer my first hour with a steady run! Stretch - Rinse - Relax on the Boat in the Sun for the rest of the day! ♥ Enjoy God's Beauty around you!! ♥

    Ill be following you now 2! I have been blessed to have such a wonderful friend, who cares so much about me, to add to whom Im held accountable! The world is your oyster girl, go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you girl!! I, like you, used to run almost everday about 3 miles and then would do a full workout on top of that and was in excellent shape, but somehow fell out of the habit. You are so right how easy it is to take a day off, then end up taking a week off, then a month, then a year!!! At the moment I'm determined to start back with my workouts once I have this kid. Hopefully I can find my motivation then. But anyway, props to you for getting up at 4:30 and working out!!! Keep up the motivation.

    ReplyDelete