Monday, July 12, 2010

A Weekend of Injuries

This 4-day was one to remember, full of a variety of injuries that created an exciting 4-day which turned into an unofficial 5 day. Wednesday after work Bobby and I went up to the lake to spend the hot days relaxing in the water with anticipation that we would return to town on Thursday for a pain management appointment for my neck. Thursday morning I awoke with a horrible, take-your breath-away pain in my chest. The best way to describe it would be that it felt like my chest/ribs needed to be adjusted and as long as I didn't move or breathe, I was not in any pain. My appointment provided a little relief but it quickly returned when I dove into the water on Friday. Bobby had to swim over to me and actually help me to the boat because I was in so much pain.

Later that night while Casey, Phil, Bobby and I were playing a game, Bobby got up to get another beer and stubbed his toe on the chair. Now, to many this may not sound like a big deal, however he was in A LOT of pain- A LOT!

Saturday we had taken Casey and Phil tubing and Casey fell off, cutting her nose on some part of the tube. Well, that was the end of that for the day. When we returned to the lake house, I walked into the house to find my dad sitting at the table looking very uncomfortable. When I asked what was wrong he said he felt dizzy, lightheaded and just didn't feel well. I took his pulse, which was abnormally irregular, and then his blood pressure, which was low. I advised him, in my paramedic voice, that I felt he should go to the ER because this was not normal for him. (My dad is a pretty healthy guy and never admits when he is not feeling well.)

After a few hours his pulse was still irregular and his blood pressure was still low and I finally convinced him to go to the hospital. And at this point Bobby decided he should go too since he couldn't walk anymore. We drove back to the hospital in Mishawaka (there was no convincing either of them to go to the one in town) and, dad went to room 11 while Bobby went to room 8. Talk about a circus going from room to room.

The doctor saw dad right away and he was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. He was sedated with Diprivan and Cardioverted (more or less shocked with a defibrillator) at 100 joules. His rhythm was converted and when he woke he said he felt much better. They sent him home that night and he still says he feels great.

Bobby on the other hand was diagnosed with a broken toe, it may not sound like a big deal, but he will be off work for a few days and has an appointment with the foot doctor tomorrow.

So, Casey's nose stopped bleeding, dads heart is back to normal, Bobby is limping around in a soft cast/boot and I am still having my goofy chest pain. I called in sick to work yesterday because I still had very limited motion- for the most part I have pain any time I move. However I had forgotten that I promised to work for someone today so I had to come in for the first 14 and then back again tomorrow. Hopefully I will be feeling better and able to move/breathe without being in pain.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my you have been through a lot there. I sure hope you start feeling better soon. Tell Bobby to take of that toe. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete