Saturday, August 18, 2012

August 2012

Yes, I know It's been a while...  I could make promises about blogging more but my history speaks for itself... 

Anyway, I wanted to share a little about what's new in our lives and tell you about my new toy (this is mostly going to be about my new toy...). 

Another summer has come and (almost) gone.  There are a few days left but it has started getting cool at night (last night it was in the 50's) and it's still nice during the day.  Perfect fall nights. 

The lake was a lot of fun this year.  I had some great birds at the feeders and around the cottage including a nesting pair of Eastern Bluebirds!  However, someone entered their home and stole their eggs so they left.  I am going to put a lock on the lid so that next year we can try again.  I also saw a Cooper's hawk, pied billed Grebes and a pileated woodpecker among the many other species of great Michigan birds. 

The last week of July I finally made my big purchase- a Big Green Egg!  We were in need of a new grill (I had no temperature control because it would catch on fire every time I tried to use it) and every time I walked into DC Meats, our local butcher shop, the Egg displays were staring me in the face.  I researched several types of grills and smokers and I found that the Egg was superior to everything else on the market.  I finally took the plunge and I am totally in LOVE! Yes, it's a grill, and a smoker but it's so much more than that.  My greatest examples of how wonderful it is: I made cookies for dessert one night- Oh...My...Goodness...  They were FANTASTIC!!! And the next morning I made pancakes on the "grill."  There was no "grill" taste or smokiness in the pancakes- everyone was amazed!  You would not believe how great it is! 

This past week I grilled some steaks, a very normal grilling activity.  (I would consider myself a good cook.  I enjoy cooking and grilling and Bobby has always commented how he enjoys my food.)  When we were done eating, Bobby said, "That was the best steak I have ever eaten.  I could eat another one it was so good."  Everything I have made on the Egg has turned out amazing!  The chicken was moist, the burgers didn't shrink up and dry out and the steaks....  WOW!  This has been the best purchase I've made in a long time.

So really, nothing is new in our lives.  We are still working hard and enjoying our off time and trying to hang on to summer as long as possible.  Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment